About the role
The role of the Shift Manager is to manage resources across all areas of the distribution centre (picking, warehouse, good in/out and dispatch) efficiently in line with client service level agreements and financial targets set by the Operations Manager. With financial accountability to the Operations Manager for delivery against performance and financial targets the Shift Manager has the authority to control the expenditure both up and down to protect the standard of service provided by the Distribution Centre.
200k square foot distribution centre
Day Shift 6am - 2pm
You will also be responsible for
- Identifying continuous improvement; working with internal champions to identify improvements in process and procedure in order to drive efficiency
- Be proactive in approach to problem solving and decision making
- Work with the continuous improvement champion
- To manage a team of Team Leaders (TL’s)to maintain high productivity and service level standards manage headcount targets in all areas in line forecasted volume
- Ensure that TL’s have the required skills / knowledge to deal with attendance, time keeping and first level discipline issues on a day to day basis, supporting these activities where required
- Ensure compliance with H&S legislation and that staff are trained to carry out the duties required of them. Review training plans for areas of accountability
- Identify key talent for the business, ensuring robust successful planning
- Ensure 100% compliance with H&S delivering a ‘Safe place to work’ culture, resulting in reduction in RIDDOR activity
- To manage the budget allowance for the individual shift, ensuring that agency spend and overtime is aligned to budget
- To proactively manage absence levels and to be able to show improvement and reduce absence to budgeted level
- To take control of all training requirements on the shift and put in place a plan to ensure that all of the shift members are 100% multi-skilled
- To plan and manage shift capability by work force planning, ensuring realistic targets are set and achieved.
About your development and benefits
- Strong communication skills and effective team player, demonstrated through the ability to influence own peer group and stakeholders alike
- Capable of working under pressure and using own initiative
- Previous experience of supply chain management is ideal
- Demonstrate experience of operating at this level, strong customer awareness- internal and external.
- Display knowledge of WMS functionality, including RF.
- Handling disciplinary processes and procedures with experience of training and coaching.
- Good level of numeracy and literacy skills
We aim to unlock your potential and equip you with all the skills required to move to the next stage in your career with us, whilst earning a full salary. This all starts with your induction where you get to know us and our business and continues with relevant training and development.
Our people get benefits including:
- pension plan
- holiday - 23 days increasing to 25 after 2 years’ service
- staff discount
- profit share
Wolseley is the world’s largest trade distributor of plumbing and heating products and a leading supplier of building materials. Our head office functions are based in Royal Leamington Spa with another major office site in Ripon.
Our company is organised into trading brands, serving distinct customer groups. Our brands are market leaders with outstanding reputations for supplying professionals in the construction and civils market.
Wolseley UK provides an unrivalled daily delivery service to almost 800 branches from our regional distribution centres all backed by a national distribution centre at Royal Leamington Spa. This daily service, supplemented by branch-based vehicles, utilises one of the country’s largest fleets of specially-designed commercial vehicles.
Wolseley UK is the UK operating company of Ferguson plc, the world’s largest specialist distributer of plumbing and heating products. We supply 1.1 million customers with 1 million products carefully sourced from approximately 52,000 suppliers.
Closing date: 23/04/19